I haven’t had much call to use vector images in the past, though some years ago I did have an initial play around with Inkscape when I was looking for a good drawing application for the Mac. A couple of weeks ago I ordered a batch of these little fluffy logo bugs as giveaways for the SLS Innovation Event and I supplied the artwork as a PNG, but the company needed a vectored EPS instead, so I ended up basically re-creating the image in Illustrator and learning more about vector images in the process.
Today I’ve been delving into Inkscape properly on my home computer and have created all new versions of the banner images I used on AttackHamster as SVG files so that they look pretty on HiDPI displays. Upgrading these images has been on my to-do list for some time, but until this week I always thought I would use two versions and media queries to serve the appropriate one. The SVGs have proven a better solution I think, minimal changes to the code and the images are now completely crisp and hopefully future proof. I haven’t bothered with any workarounds for older versions of Internet Explorer. There comes a time when old timers need to be put out of their misery, and that time is long since past for IE6, 7 and 8.